I have been thinking about doing another year long declutter. If you are new to my blog, I have been doing the 1,000 item declutter for the past two years. I only got to about 800 items my first time doing this project, due to starting later in the year, but last year I actually surpassed 1,000 items.
I successfully got rid of 5 boxes of clothes last year! We used GreenDrop (not sponsored) to schedule pickup and we chose The National Federation of the Blind as our charity. This made decluttering super easy because these boxes didnt have to wait for us to remember to take these items elsewhere. If you dont have this particular program in your area, find an equivalent to make this process easy.
Late last fall, we renovated our kitchen ourselves. In the process, we decluttered boxes of kitchen items. Most of these items were things family members could use. Other items were broken so those got tossed.
Its astounding that you can get rid of so much, but still have so much that goes unused. Its also crazy to see how much you accumulate even when you are regularly decluttering.
Im also thinking of adding in that month-long challenge where you get rid of a specified amount each day – its something like 400 things decluttered.
Are any of you planning on doing a project like this?
As I was getting ready yesterday, the unthinkable happened…..My Essense All About Matt powder fell off my desk and shattered.
This is not how we want to finish products.
I will be replacing this powder with the Elf Prime and Slay Finishing Powder. There is hardly any progress on this powder, but its the next oldest face powder in my collection.
I have decided to do another rolling project pan as well as continue to work thru my perfumes.
I will be doing this years project a little different than in the past. I will be doing 10 body care products and 10 Makeup products. I will be rolling in new items as I finish.
For Body Care, I will be working on:
- Hand Cream – Dionis White Jasmine & Shea hand cream
- Foot Care – Lush Pink Peppermint foot cream
- Dry Shampoo – R&Co Badlands paste
- Body Lotion – jojoba oil
- Lip Scrub – Laura Geller
- Eye Care – Ulta eye gels
- Face Mask – Elemis thousand flower mask
- Lip Product – Sephora Lip Balm
- Cleanser – Clean and Clear Morning Burst
- Perfume – Elizabeth and James Nirvana rollerball
For Makeup, I will be working on:
- Primer – Dr Brandt Luminizer
- Concealer – Aurora X Ipsy
- Powder Foundation – BareMinerals Matte
- Liquid Foundation – Maybelline Matte and Poreless
- Powder – Essense All About Matt
- Setting Powder – Cover FX powder
- Blush – Tarte Paarty
- Brows – Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz
- Brow Gel – Chella
- Eyeliner – Ulta Double sided (Black side only)
I will also be continuing to work on using my perfumes. This year, Ill be concentrating on trying to use up two rollerballs and at least one deluxe sized mini. I hope to finish 10 decanted samples. (I finished 33 of these last year.)
I also want to hit pan on at least 20 eyeshadows this year.
Are you planning on doing a project pan this year?
As some of you know, last April I began a project based on the soundtrack to one of my favorite movies, Rocky Horror Picture Show.
I chose 5 songs and products to go along with the theme.
- Over at the Frankenstein Place – Mac Trolls Play it Proper highlighter ~ I wanted to hit pan and I did! I made a whole post about it because I was so excited! I expanded the pan on my highlighter since hitting pan a couple of weeks ago. (See photo below)
- I can Make you a Man – Elf daily hydration moisturizer ~ I did not finish this but Im so close! Had I not used a different night time moisturizer, this product would have been finished. I will continue to use it until its finished.
- TouchA TouchA Touch Me – travel size Origins Checks and Balances frothy face wash. ~ I finished this as well as another travel sized cleanser.
- Rose Tint my World / Wild and Untamed Thing – Stila Glitter and Glow in Smoldering Satin. ~ I almost finished this but it dried out and its being decluttered.
- Im Going Home – Boscia luminizing black mask ~ I finished this mask and ended up finishing other masks since.
These are the products I have left:
Did you do a Halloween project? How did you do?
Edit: This post was supposed to go up last Thursday but we had some connectivity issues and it wouldnt publish. I lost a large bit of this post so thats why its not as detailed as many of my other project introductions.
I decided to do one last project before the end of the year. I wanted to make sure I finished off a lot of samples I had hanging around and use up some older skin care products before the end of the year.
Most of these products will be easy to finish because they are either foil samples or I just have a small amount left.
Will you be doing one last push to finish anything?
Back in April, I began a RHPS Project Pan that will end on Halloween.
One of the products I put into this project is the Mac Cosmetics Play it Proper highlighter. I had barely used this product prior to this project so I just wanted to hit pan. At the time, I didnt even think I would hit pan – but guys…..I HIT PAN!!!!
Yes, this is a spoiler to the RHPS Project Pan, but Im so excited about this. I have never hit pan on a full size highlighter.
My full update on this project will be posted after Halloween but I just could not wait!
Have you ever hit pan or finished a full size highlighter?
Last year I decided to do a traditional Project 10 Pan and as of May, I have finished 10 products!!!
If you forgot, I have finished the:
- MUFE Primer
- UD Naked Basics (Foxy) shade
- UD Naked Basics (WOS) shade
- MUFE Foundation Sample
- Essence Make Me Brow
- Laura Mercier Caviar Stick (Rosegold)
- Stila Glitter and Glow (Kitten)
- Tarte Lights Camera Lashes Mascara
- Marc Jacobs Highliner
- IT Cosmetics CC+ Foundation
I am beyond thrilled that I was able to finish these products!
I havent finished any other project pan products since May even though I have tried. I took a month off of panning, especially since my Spring into Summer project was a complete fail.
And Im back with a ‘NEW” Project 10 Pan that will hopefully be as successful as the first half of the year.
The products I will be working on are (some have been rolled back into this project):
- Ulta eye primer*
- Mac Oil Control Lotion*
- Becca First Light Priming Filter*
- Essence Make Me Brow
- Laura Geller Lip Strip
- Sephora Lip Balm
- BareMinerals Concealer
- Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder
- Elf Brow Wax*
- BareMinerals Lasting Line
- *Denotes prior project inclusion
Have you been actively panning this year? Have you been successful?
(Ignore the weird graph below)
I absolutely love trying out new perfumes. I used to love when they would put a sample in the Sephora Play boxes every month. I would try them out and get a roller-ball if I really liked how it wore on me.
But then, I noticed just how many perfumes I was collecting and so for the last couple of years, I made it a point to wear perfume everyday. Ive even put those small little samples into short-term projects so I could use and enjoy them, instead of them wasting away in a small drawer.
This is how many of those samples Ive accumulated.
I even started collecting those adorable deluxe sized perfumes.
I mean, seriously…..they look fantastic when on display. Surely Im not the only one who feels this way.
I don’t have many roller-balls, but they do fill up a coffee mug (that’s how I store them).
At least I knew enough not to buy any full sized perfumes. I recently had to declutter a full size Elizabeth Taylor perfume that had probably been sitting in a drawer for 12 years.
The best part about wearing perfume everyday is that you do actually use it up. Granted, Ive only used up samples, but its a start!
Ive actually used up 9 samples! It might not seem like a lot, but considering they were only ‘collecting dust’ I think Im doing great!
Do you have a perfume collection? Has it gotten out of hand? Are you trying to use them up? Let me know in the comments.
Are you like me and accumulate foil samples? I seem to just put most of them in a drawer – almost never to be seen again.
In the past few years, I have given some samples that weren’t for me to those who might have some use for them, or I have included them into my Poshmark/Mercari sales.
But I really need to use the foil samples I kept because some of these samples have been sitting in a drawer for over a year and might be very close to expiration. I have decided that I will not be obtaining any more samples until all the foil samples have been used up.
As you can see in the photo below – I have several high end foil samples. Some of the brands pictured below include: Algenist, Milk, Mac, Elemis, Clinique, Glamglow. I will be working these into my daily routine until they are all finished.
Do you make it a point to use up the foil samples you get with your orders?
I currently have three projects running. Im doing a Project 10 Pan, A Spring into Summer Project, and a Rocky Horror Picture Show based project. Im doing pretty great at my Project 10 Pan, but I have to admit Im slacking on the others so far.
Project 10 Pan Update:
I have finished my Tarte mascara and Marc Jacobs eyeliner. This makes 9 products in this project panned.
I will be adding in the:
- R&Co Badlands dry shampoo paste – Ive only used this a handful of times but its the oldest dry shampoo I have. Its a deluxe size so it will be easier to pan than my full size dry shampoos.
- YSL Touche Eclat Blur Primer – This is the oldest primer I have and its also a deluxe size. I still have the smallest amount of primer Im still working on but Ill be starting this one very soon.
- BareMinerals 5 in 1 cream eyeshadow (Luminous Pearl) – This is the oldest cream shadow in my collection and Id like to use it up before it expires. It looks great on its own as well as with brightening other shadows.
Spring into Summer Update:
So far I have only finished the three of four decanted perfume samples. I have been making progress on the Becca primer and the Bareminerals concealer. The Makeup Forever foundation is going slower than I thought it would. Im currently using it as a concealer for under my eyes but its a thicker consistency so only a small amount is necessary.
Rocky Horror Picture Show Update:
I only recently started this project but I have already finished the Boscia mask. I have added in the Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal mask and have been using it in the May Mask Challenge from Lisa Stevens. I don’t have a lot left and Im fairly certain Ill have this finished by the end of the month.
How are you doing on your projects? Have you been making any progress?
Let me know in the comments!