Last year I decided to go on a low buy/no buy but did not have a concrete plan. I exceeded the amount I planned to spend, so this year, I am making a plan.
I have a strict guidelines for myself for 2020. I will only be replacing products I run out of, but will allow myself a splurge item for my birthday.
I have subscribed to FabFitFun as well as the Allure Beauty Box and those items will be counted as beauty purchases in my yearly spreadsheet. I plan on keeping the Allure box thru June, but may obviously cancel prior to then. Should I cancel the Allure box, I will not be subscribing to any other beauty box for the remainder of the year.
I plan on buying the reusable bamboo type makeup rounds sometime this year. I have a back stock of cotton rounds so this purchase will be made sometime this summer.
I will also be looking at what Ulta has in their 21 Days of Beauty. They have offered the Tarte lip paints in years prior and I will be looking to repurchase one that Ive been using for awhile.
Products I will need to repurchase:
- Laura Mercier loose setting powder – I just finished up a deluxe sample and this will be what I purchase for my birthday in June.
- Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid Eye liner – This is my favorite liquid liner. I have some Elf liners to use before I purchase this.
- Mascara (Either Mac, Clinique, or Charlotte Tilbury) – I have enough mascaras to get me thru most of the year, but if Ulta has any of these on sale, I will be buying one at that time.
- Cleanser (Loreal and Origins) – I have a bunch of cleansers to finish but Ill need to purchase sometime near the end of the year.
- Setting Spray – Ill need to purchase sometime this summer.
- Beauty Sponges – I have enough sponges to get thru spring/summer but I think Ill need to purchase sometime around October.
Im sure there are other items I will need as the year goes on, but I will not purchase until I am almost out of what I have on hand. I should not need to purchase any skin care this year, but if I happen to run out of something, I will make a purchase for what I need.
So, are you going on a low buy or no buy this year? Have you made plans to cut down on your spending?
I wanted to share some of my favorite skin care products with you. Almost all are fairly new finds to me but quickly worked their way into my routine.
Before I begin, I have to let you know that I have VERY oily skin. Its less oily during the fall/winter months, but its never not oily. Im also over 40 so my concerns are specific to aging skin.
- The Origins Check and Balances Frothy Face Wash is my absolute favorite cleanser. I use this as a second cleanse once my makeup is removed. You only need a pea sized amount and it foams up and leaves your skin feeling so refreshed and clean. This has been a favorite for years.
- The Pixi Glow Tonic has been raved about for years, but I finally tried it and it is worth the hype in my opinion. I saw such a difference in my skin from using it. I have to finish my former favorite toner (it was a favorite for many years) but as you can see, Ive purchased more Glow Tonic.
- One of the most recent finds for me is the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. I ordered the Charlotte Tilbury Advent Box and tried this cream and it really is magical. I dont know what is in it that makes my skin look so great, but I have gone many days without make up on my face when Ive used this. I actually purchased another small size because I dont want to be without it.
- The Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Cloud Cream is fantastic. This moisturizer is light and sinks in right away making my skin feel incredible. I am so thankful to have received this in a Sephora Play box a couple years ago because its been a holy grail ever since. (The Neutrogena HydroBoost moisturizer is a decent dupe for a drug store option)
- I cant remember who told me about the Kiehls creamy eye treatment being a great eye cream option but Im telling you! Its so moisturizing without being sticky and doesnt give me those bumps under my skin that other eye creams have done.
I have never really had favorites when it came to masking – except for the fact that my skin loves charcoal and clay. This year I wanted to find other types of masks that wouldnt dry my skin out so much and let me tell you…..I have found some fantastic products.
- The Neutrogena Hydro Boost line is fantastic in general, but the hydrogel masks are something that has made me love sheet masks. These are literally the first sheet masks I have truly loved. (Ive since tried the Ulta version and like those as well.) These soothe and hydrate the skin and do not slide all around your face!
- I have fallen in love with hydrogel eye masks as well. Right now Im using the Ulta brand version. Hydrogels do not slide around so you can do other things while masking.
- The Peter Thomas Roth Hungarian Thermal Water Atomic Heat Mask is another find from a Sephora Play Box. Not only do I love the results of this mask, but the process is quick and is an experience! In short, you spread this on a dry face, wait about two minutes, then dampen your hands with cool water. The cool water activates the mask and your face will get warm. You massage your face until the heat factor goes away – then you rinse off. (The moisturizer from this line is a fantastic night cream for me.)
Have you found any new skin care favorites?
As some of you know, last April I began a project based on the soundtrack to one of my favorite movies, Rocky Horror Picture Show.
I chose 5 songs and products to go along with the theme.
- Over at the Frankenstein Place – Mac Trolls Play it Proper highlighter ~ I wanted to hit pan and I did! I made a whole post about it because I was so excited! I expanded the pan on my highlighter since hitting pan a couple of weeks ago. (See photo below)
- I can Make you a Man – Elf daily hydration moisturizer ~ I did not finish this but Im so close! Had I not used a different night time moisturizer, this product would have been finished. I will continue to use it until its finished.
- TouchA TouchA Touch Me – travel size Origins Checks and Balances frothy face wash. ~ I finished this as well as another travel sized cleanser.
- Rose Tint my World / Wild and Untamed Thing – Stila Glitter and Glow in Smoldering Satin. ~ I almost finished this but it dried out and its being decluttered.
- Im Going Home – Boscia luminizing black mask ~ I finished this mask and ended up finishing other masks since.
These are the products I have left:
Did you do a Halloween project? How did you do?
Somehow time is passing by and I realized I am WAY behind on posting. Again, we are nearly at the end of September and I havent even posted my empties for August.
It was another light month for empties.
This month I finished 6 perfume samples!
I finished my favorite cleanser as well as a Bobbi Brown eyeshadow stick -which were both in a recent project and a Lush soap bar.
This months empties total is $36.64!!
Have you finished anything youve been working on?
I have to say that I had a very good month of May. I was able to finish up several deluxe makeup and skin care products.
If you aren’t following my blog or my Instagram, you might not be aware that I am doing the May Mask Challenge by Lisa Stevens so this month of empties is a bit skin care heavy. My goal was to mask 15 times in May, but I managed to mask 24 days!
A major standout to me is the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Mask! You can’t beat the price and it made my skin feel so moisturized. I have very oily skin and most masks just make my skin feel slimy, but the Neutrogena Hydro Boost mask was outstanding. The serum just sunk right into my skin and it did not slide around like others have. You HAVE to try it!
This months empties total is $97.90!!
Did you participate in the May Mask Challenge?
I currently have three projects running. Im doing a Project 10 Pan, A Spring into Summer Project, and a Rocky Horror Picture Show based project. Im doing pretty great at my Project 10 Pan, but I have to admit Im slacking on the others so far.
Project 10 Pan Update:
I have finished my Tarte mascara and Marc Jacobs eyeliner. This makes 9 products in this project panned.
I will be adding in the:
- R&Co Badlands dry shampoo paste – Ive only used this a handful of times but its the oldest dry shampoo I have. Its a deluxe size so it will be easier to pan than my full size dry shampoos.
- YSL Touche Eclat Blur Primer – This is the oldest primer I have and its also a deluxe size. I still have the smallest amount of primer Im still working on but Ill be starting this one very soon.
- BareMinerals 5 in 1 cream eyeshadow (Luminous Pearl) – This is the oldest cream shadow in my collection and Id like to use it up before it expires. It looks great on its own as well as with brightening other shadows.
Spring into Summer Update:
So far I have only finished the three of four decanted perfume samples. I have been making progress on the Becca primer and the Bareminerals concealer. The Makeup Forever foundation is going slower than I thought it would. Im currently using it as a concealer for under my eyes but its a thicker consistency so only a small amount is necessary.
Rocky Horror Picture Show Update:
I only recently started this project but I have already finished the Boscia mask. I have added in the Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal mask and have been using it in the May Mask Challenge from Lisa Stevens. I don’t have a lot left and Im fairly certain Ill have this finished by the end of the month.
How are you doing on your projects? Have you been making any progress?
Let me know in the comments!
Its close to halfway thru the year already! Ive said it multiple times already, but this year is flying by.
This past month I really concentrated on finishing up deluxe samples / travel size items in my collection. A couple of products were even put into project pans (perfume samples, face mask, and cleanser) so Ill have to do some updating on those projects next week.
As you can see, I had a foil sample of the Tatcha Water Cream and I can’t wait to get more of this! I was only able to get one use out of the sample I have here, but I do have two deluxe sample sizes waiting to use. My skin REALLY liked this and I might have to open those samples up sooner rather than later 🙂
This months empties total is $44.94!
Were you able to finish anything last month?
I know a lot of project panners start their fall project pans after the summer projects end, but I wanted to do one that incorporated some longer term products. While thinking about how to use some of my older products, I decided maybe do a Halloween inspired project. So, I decided to do a Rocky Horror Picture Show themed project that will end on October 31st.
This project will be based on the soundtrack for the Rocky Horror Picture Show. If you were around in the 80s, you will no doubt remember attending midnight shows where audience participation included singing all of the songs (as well as much more I won’t give away here). These days, screenings that allow audience participation are few and far between (as well as shadow casts) but when you do find a showing, it’s usually around Halloween.
I have chosen 5 songs from the soundtrack and picked items to go with lines of the song.
- Over at the Frankenstein Place – I have chosen my Mac Trolls Play it Proper highlighter because of the line ‘Theres a light’ in this song. During this song, audience members squirt water pistols and hold up lighters (these days its a flashlight). I only want to use this highlighter more. I don’t even have a dip in it but I have started to wear away the troll in the product. Id love to hit pan, but that might be a stretch.
- I can Make you a Man – I have chosen my Elf daily hydration moisturizer because part of the line is ‘In just seven days’ and you wear moisturizer seven days a week.
- TouchA TouchA Touch Me – Im choosing a cleanser because of the line ‘I Want to Feel Dirty’ and you need to cleanse. Ive chosen my travel size Origins Checks and Balances frothy face wash. This is one of my favorite cleansers.
- Rose Tint my World / Wild and Untamed Thing – Ive chosen the Stila Glitter and Glow in Smoldering Satin. This one is a deluxe sample size that came in a set of three. Glitter should always make you feel wild and untamed 🙂
- Im Going Home – I just have to say that this is a fantastic song and shows Tim Curry’s vocal abilities. I have chosen the Boscia luminizing black mask because most of us mask at home. This is a peel off mask and its a deluxe sample size. Ive used it a couple times but Id like to finish it.
Should I finish any products, I will add in items that fit with the theming I have already set in this project (i.e. If I finish the mask, Ill add in another mask)
I love seasonal projects, so I hope you will join in this one with me! If you do decide to participate, please leave me a link to your post so we can follow each others progress!
I will be posting a photo on IG with the hashtag #RHPSProjectPan (My IG is @JustSheilz if you want to follow me there)
For some reason, I thought I finished more than this last month, but the proof is in the pudding-as they say.
Here are the products I finished:
- Tree Hut Shea Sugar Scrub – I dont go through these as often in the summer, but I always have a backup.
- White Could cotton balls – I used these mainly for nail polish. I have a backup but its the dollar store brand if I remember correctly.
- Neutrogena eye makeup remover – One of my favorite makeup removers. I do have a backup, but Im using some samples Ive received first.
- Clinique facial cleanser – I believe this is my last one. I would not repurchase. I like other facial cleansers better.
- Korres cleanser – I did not like this at all.
- Glam Glow Supercleanse – I liked this but I think Im allergic to something in it because my face gets swollen every time I use it.
- Skin & Co truffle eye cream – This was ok. I prefer other eye gels/creams to this.
- Sephora brush cleanser – I love this stuff. Its a bit cheaper than the beauty blender cleanser and does a fine job cleaning my brushes.
- Cotton Rounds – I use these for toner and removing my eye makeup. I get them at the dollar store and I usually have backups.
- Erno Lazlo eye masks – I got these from Influenster to review and wanted a treat. I like these but I cant justify the cost.
- Covergirl Lashblast – Not my favorite Covergirl mascara, but I like it.
- Doucce <sp> mascara – This was a very wet formula that really coated the lashes, but it got way too goopy too quick.
- Ole Henriksen Night Gel – I did not like this.
- Bonine – I get motion sickness. Enough said.
- SKII Essense – This was too easy to use. Not enough of an improvement over my Loreal toner to justify the cost. Would not purchase. This was a project pan item.
- Sunday Riley CEO serum – I do not like this. I have another foil packet to finish in my current project pan.
- Origins Ginzing Moisturizer – This was ok. I wouldnt go out of my way to purchase. This was a project pan item.
- L’Occitane Divine Eyes – I liked this but its pricy. This was a project pan item.
- Clockwork Custard – not really my style of juice but it was alright. It was nice to try.
- Savage Marcellus (Lemon Tart) – I really liked this juice and the site always does sales, but never includes this juice in their bundles.
- Cloud Kiss – This is a juice from TiaVapes on youtube. It was a light strawberry cake batter. It was really good.
- The Cake Shoppe Pound It – OMG Lemon Pound cake in vape form! I can finally get that sweet tooth craving without adding the calories!
- ScopeJuice – Oatmeal Cookie wonderfulness 🙂 My readers know Ive been vaping this for a couple years now.
Did you finish anything last month?
Ive been seeing this tag going around on youtube and decided it was time to start another project myself. As usual, Im focusing on my samples of skin care. Im also combining foil samples with my deluxe samples in this one.
Here are the items Im going to be working on:
- Origins Ginzing Moisturizer – Ive tried this in the past and liked it. This sample should be done after 2 uses.
- L’Occitane Gel – I have never tried this, but got these when I got my Advent box.
- Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil – Ive only ever used this in foil samples so I know I dont hate it.
- Sunday Riley C.E.O. Serum – Ive never tried this, and Im hoping these two foil samples are enough to form an opinion.
- Philosophy Purity Pore Extractor – I love a good exfoliator 🙂 Im hoping I love this.
- Amore Pacific Moisturizer – Ill be using this as my day moisturizer.
- L’Occitane Creme – I received this sample at the same time as my others. I have not tried this product, and Ill be saving this moisturizer for last because I just found a few larger samples of this as Im writing this post.
- Mario Badescu Night Cream – This is the moisturizer Ill be using at night. Its the oldest deluxe sample I have. I generally like the Mario Badescu items Ive tried (and Ive repurchased his facial cleansers many times), so I have high hopes for this item.
- Sunday Riley C.E.O. Moisterizer – Ill be using this in conjunction with the serum samples for its full benefits. So far, Ive liked most of the Sunday Riley line Ive used.
- Kate Somerville Exfolikate – I have a couple foil packets and deluxe sample of this. I have not tried it, but many people with similar oily skin as I have, have raved about this.
- SK-II Essense – Ive never taken Essences seriously because I already use a toner that I love. And this one better perform miracles considering the high cost.
- Olay Whip Moisturizer – I usually do not like Olay products because they tend to feel heavy on my skin, so I have high hopes for something containing whip in the name.
- L’Occitane Eye Cream – I got this sample with the others and need to use it up.
I hope you will be using up your items along with us!